Monday, May 8, 2017

Interview with Terry Maggert

Please Welcome Author Terry Maggert




Q1. Tell us something interesting about yourself. 

I like to stare out the window between 2:00 and 4:00AM while eating cookies, pie, or cake.
This is what I call “thinking” but in reality it’s actually “snacking”. Also, I’m an expert at the pogo stick, although I don’t know if that particular skill will ever come in handy.


Q2. What does “being creative” mean to you? 

Being an observer who transmutes the things around them into something more. I’m a watcher
by nature—I think that most writers are. There’s a particular kind of alchemy needed in order to take what I see and make it my own. I think artists, writers, and engineers all share this particular wiring
quirk. That and a slavish devotion to coffee.


Q3. What are your greatest sources of inspiration?  

Since I’m a history professor, I look to the past. To clarify, the past can be this
morning—but it’s such a big thing, replete with heroism and villainy and all of the things I need to build worlds entirely in my own head. Based on my exploration of history, I’ll never run out of things to write. I’ll simply run out of time, a function of my career that I
think many writers share. History is a deep pool, and even at eleven
books, I’m still in the shallow end. I like those odds, given my intentions to write fifty books at minimum.

 
Q4. Do you have any current or future projects?
 

This year, I’ll have three novels, two short stories, and three audiobooks. Moonborn, Halfway Drowned, and an entirely new series will all hit shelves this year. I read an unbelievably sad story about an orphanage in Ireland that serves as the genesis of my newest character. I hope to introduce him to the word late in 2017.
 
Q5. If you could just feature one title, what would it be?
 

 Heartborn. It’s my first Young Adult novel, and the most intricate, which I saying something given my love for mystery. I dreamed the entire story one night, woke up, and began typing. Livvy Foster is blooming before my eyes. She went from a young woman who needed a heart to someone who
will rule a world somewhere between ours and the future. I know where she’s going, but she surprises me with how she’s getting there. I like that.

Q6. What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your
written voice?
 

Given that I write primarily female characters, I think there’s less connection than I perceive. I get paid to speak about history, and that voice is distinctly different from Carlie or Livvy
or Ring—my characters have their own voices because they are most certainly not me. Does Ring like fishing and sub sandwiches and Thai food? Yes, just like I do, but our internal composition is far
different. By writing him as someone unique, I can push him (and other characters) into actions and thoughts that are anathema to who I am as a husband, father, and human being.


Q7. What is the best advice you have for other authors? 


I’m an author coach, and the first question I ask a new client is this: What does your book do? Is it being written for fun? Profit? To highlight a cause, or tell a story? Once you understand what your book’s purpose is, you can understand what your path is as a writer.

Q8. Why did you start blogging?

I blog for three reasons: To complain about things, to talk about food, and to commiserate with other pet owners. In that sense, I’m the quintessential American.


Q9. Who is your favorite author? And why?
  
Anne McCaffrey, because she gave me dragons. Hemingway is a close second, but Anne McCaffrey’s world of Pern gave me a place to go in my head when I was a teenager. In that sense, she built a harbor that I still visit to this day.

Book Blurb:
Her guardian angel was pushed.

Keiron was never meant to be anything other than a hero. Born high above in a place of war and deception, he is Heartborn, a being of purity and goodness in a world where violence and deceit are just around every corner.
His disappearance will spark a war he cannot see, for Keiron has pierced the light of days to save a girl he has never met, for reasons he cannot understand. Livvy Foster is seventeen, brave, and broken. With half a heart, she bears the scars of a lifetime of pain and little hope of survival.
Until Keiron arrives.


In the middle of a brewing war and Livvy’s failing heart, Keiron will risk everything for Livvy, because a Heartborn’s life can only end in one way: Sacrifice.


Fall with Livvy and Keiron as they seek the truth about her heart, and his power, and what it means to love someone who will give their very life to save you.