Monday, April 3, 2017

Poet Thomas Gimpel

Thank you Poet Thomas Gimpel! 




Her and the dawn

Her beauty shines through stained
Glass wings and colors my world.
Her voice is the song I sing to the moon,
Her love is the yearning I feel in the grip
Of the night.
A lone sentinel, awaiting her and the dawn.

Twitter: @Focused_poet





Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

 I’m an airplane mechanic for the Boeing Company who loves to read and write. I live in Washington ST. with my wife and 3 kids and one cute granddaughter. I’ve been writing as long as I can remember and love to infuse emotion and imagination into everything I write.

Why is poetry important?

 Poetry is emotion unveiled. No matter how you’re feeling, you can write it out and be as emotional as you need to be and the best thing about it is that you can be sure that someone will read your poetry and feel the same way.

How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image? 

That’s a good question. It really depends on my current mood or what has affected me most at the time. i love to write about dark things, but the weather might be the topic most on my mind at the time, however the muse moves me.

Where is your favorite place to write and why? 

I carry a notebook with me everywhere (no joke). I write when the mood moves me. I don’t have a specific place to write, I write wherever I am.

What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice? 

I like my writing voice more than my speaking voice. It always seems stronger. I’ve done some spoken word poetry and hated it right away. My pen is mightier than my voice, I assure you.

What are your thoughts about social media and poetry? Do you think it helps the poet or hinders the poet?

 I love the fact that I can go on twitter and post my poetry. Not only can you put your work out over the internet, you can get instant feedback on your writing. Not to mention, there are some very fine writers out there. I get to write and read other poet’s work that normally I would never get to read. I love the whole social media and poetry connection. Without it, my poetry would be confined to filled notebooks.

What is the best advice you have for other poets? 

Keep writing. Write what you feel, write how you feel, no matter what. Someone will listen and love that you wrote what you did.

What do you see in the future for poets, do you believe that poetry will regain its strength over time? 

I think poetry is strong now, especially with social media. The world will always need poets and poetry.

Why did you start blogging? 

I started because I wanted to get my poetry on the internet. My blog is the perfect place to go and see what I’ve written lately.

Do you have any blogging tips? 

Blogging is a great way to share your work. It’s difficult to collect all my poems in one place, so a blog is a great way to do that.

Who is your favorite poet? And why? 

I grew up reading Edgar Allen Poe. He was so good and versatile at whatever he wrote. He could be frightening in one poem or story and very romantic in the next. I’ve always loved his work.