Monday, April 3, 2017

Poet Sai Marie Johnson

Thank You Sai!







Blurb: 
 Sai Marie's newest poetry collection reflects her impeccable way with words
 just as well as her first two books. 
This collection is a beautiful assortment of inspiring, 
and passionate stanzas that are sure to capture reader's attention, and hearts







Dreamer's Mantra

 

I work hard for what I wanna be
So long I've had this dream, you see.
I've conceptualized this life for me
Its the one thing I feel can set me free
Patience, I've been forced to learn
Education, through grueling hours I have earned
Faith, has kept me inching along
Bracing, holding, and keeping me strong
But with the distance so close and somehow still far away
I look to the future and a bright new day
If Ive fought this long, this hard, this tough
Surely I must have finally proven myself good enough
Condescending naysayers laughed and pointed at me when I was down
They made a career of making me frown
but I was taught to stand my ground
until a new path could be found
and now that I've traveled past the halfway mark..
I'm determined to make it, I'm driven, I've got a spark.
So if you tell me I haven't tried hard enough
I'm here to show you this path is for the tough.
So while you criticize and put me down
just remember I at least rode it out
Even when times got tough.



Q1.Tell us a little about yourself and your background? 


I’m a multi-genre author and poet who has been self-published since 2013. As of this year, I have recently transitioned from being an indie author to a traditionally published author. I have been crafting stories and poems for as a long as I can remember and first took an interest in poetry in the first grade when we learned about Haiku. I happily reside in the Great Pacific Northwest, which is the playground muse to my word-crafting.

Q2. Why is poetry important? 

I feel that poetry is the language of the soul, in every aspect. Through poems we are able to learn and connect with people almost as gracefully as music. Poetry is one of the most liberating arts and methods for reducing stress. I’ve found it to be the cheapest therapy around, which is something every person can use from time to time.

Q3. How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image?

 I am an inspired to action poet. I do not have a ritual or methodology to writing my work it just comes as it does based on experiences in my life and the world around me. Typically the words and sentences just start to formulate in my head and when this happens I immediately put pen to paper or fingertips to keyboard at the moment it strikes. I find that random inspiration works best for me.

Q4. Where is your favorite place to write and why? 

The comfort of my own living room couch where my children congregate to handle homework and entertainment alike. It makes it easier to be a part of everything that is important to me while still working on my creative passions and professional goals.

Q5. What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?

I far better written than I am spoken, however, I am also Bilingual and have been a translator so I find I have a very mid-west style of speech. I definitely write better than I speak.

Q6. What are your thoughts about social media and poetry? Do you think it helps the poet or hinders the poet?

I think that social media has allowed many poets to emerge into the world whose work generally would have been kept to notebooks and napkins and never would have met the general public. I don’t think it’s caused many any negative experiences but I’m sure there have been some who had had them. However, I also feel that with social media the risk of having your work stolen has increased most definitely but that is a risk I feel educated poets and writers will take with precaution and wisdom, of course. 

Q7. What is the best advice you have for other poets? 

Never stop writing your words and never be afraid to share them with the world. There is bound to be someone who will benefit from your talents, don’t deny them the opportunity to grow from your artistic skills.

Q8. What do you see in the future for poets, do you believe that poetry will regain its strength over time? 

Yes, I do. In my region in particular we have several poetry slam contests and there are many poets who have went on to have extremely successful careers. Poetry is most certainly not dead and I don’t ever see it completely dissolving from the literary world.

Q9. Why did you start blogging? 

Because I had words to share and I wanted to put them somewhere they may make a difference to others. It is my belief that my talent was given for the purpose of enriching the lives of the world around me.

Q10. Do you have any blogging tips? 

Always find new content, never allow your audience to go too long without posting something new and engaging to keep them interested. Nothing worse than following an interesting blog that suddenly ceases to create content.

Q11. Who is your favorite poet? And why?

 Emily Dickinson is my favorite poet because of how deep her poems were and the fact that she didn’t gain any fame for them during her life. It is a bittersweet history of poetry what became of Emily and her story has stuck with me ever since I was first introduced. She was an amazing woman and I hold her in very high regard.

Q12. What, if any, groups or organizations are you a member of?

 I am a proud member of SheWrites, Oregon Authors Association, and the National Association of Professional Women.