Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Poet Jen Selinsky

Thank You Poet Jen Selinsky!!






2∞ 
Coming to me

Almost every time

That I look at a watch or a clock,

Swimming in my mind for hours

Afterwards, damn near haunting

Me in my dreams.

Looking at *all of you, this must

Be telling me something, as I press

My brain against

The wall and

Whisper into the twilight.

Solstice, some kind of a calm

Embrace—terror from the night

Preceding; but there is nothing

Here to greet me

Or make me feel ill at ease.

That number, my number, the

Age I have been

Allowed to reach

Makes me want to stay longer—

An infinity here to avoid all my

Future mistakes, while I still have

Some youth left to write out

The rest of my dreams before

They fade to black.
(*famous writers discovered before

age 28)





Q1.Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Here is my author bio.: Jen Selinsky was born in Pittsburgh, PA.  In 2003, she earned her bachelor's degree in English from Clarion University of Pennsylvania.  In 2004, she earned her master's degree in library science from the same school.  Jen has worked as a professional librarian for over eleven years.  She has published more than 160 books, many of which contain poetry.  Her work can be found on the following sites: Lulu, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iTunes, Smashwords, Pen It! Publications, and Buy Me Books Now.  She has also been featured in publications such as: The Courier Journal, Explorer Magazine, Liphar Magazine, and Indiana Libraries.  Jen lives in Sellersburg, IN with her husband.

Q2. Why is poetry important?
Poetry is important because it speaks to the soul.  Many ancient civilizations used poetry as a means to define their cultures.  Even though some people often dismiss its value nowadays, poetry can be just as effective at portraying a message as an essay or a novel.

Q3. How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image?
Most of my poetry comes from ideas.  Much of the time, if an idea comes into my head, I immediately begin to write!  I feel that if I don’t start writing as soon as possible, I might lose the idea.

Q4. Where is your favorite place to write and why?
I find that it’s easiest for me to write at home.  It’s the place where I feel most comfortable.  But if an idea should come to me any time during my waking hours, I must, at least, capture the basics so that I can come back to it later.                                                                  

Q5. What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?
My speaking voice is not that great.  Two of the three writers’ groups in which I’m involved require me to read out loud.  I don’t really like it, but I feel that it’s good practice for when my career starts to take me places.  My written voice is much more articulate, but reading out loud helps me catch mistakes which I did not know were there before. 

Q6. What are your thoughts about social media and poetry? Do you think it helps the poet or hinders the poet?
I think that social media is a good outlet for anyone who wishes to express his or her creativity.  It lets people share their poetry with others, and it’s also a good way for authors to market their material. 

Q7. What is the best advice you have for other poets?
My advice is to keep writing!  Even though poetry is not nearly as popular as it used to be, there might be a market for it sometime in the future. 

Q8. What do you see in the future for poets, do you believe that poetry will regain
its strength over time?
I certainly hope so.  There are many great poets out there, and their voices deserve to be heard. Perhaps, if more people start to review poetry books, then others will be inclined to purchase and read them again.

Q9. Why did you start blogging?
I wanted to expand my horizons as a writer.  I’ve written many books, but blogging is something new, and it fits well with the 21st century.
Q10. Do you have any blogging tips?
The best way to blog is to write about something you know; it makes things a whole lot easier.  It’s also a good idea to leave yourself open to having guest posts on your blog(s).  People loved to be featured on other sites!  

Q11. Who is your favorite poet? And why?
Two of my favorite poets are Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath.  Both their lives and works speak volumes.  As women, they felt that they had things more difficult than their male counterparts, but that did not hinder their great determination!

Q12. What, if any, groups or organizations are you a member of?
I am a proud member of three writers’ groups in southern Indiana.  They are: The Sellersburg Writers’ Group, Spilling Ink Writers’ Group, and The Southern Indiana Writers’ Group.  All three have challenged me to become a better writer.  They have also presented opportunities which would not have been available to me otherwise.