Monday, April 3, 2017

Poet Edward York

Thank you Poet Edward York!






Blurb:
 Impressions In The Sand is a collection of Poems I have written over a span of time.
 They are about life, love and even some humor. 
 Some were strongly felt inspirations and others were whimsical. 





    A RELATIONSHIP.
A relationship is like a garden,
            It requires some work to grow.
It can’t be rushed to harvest,
            But must be handled slow.

It requires a lot of effort,
            In order to be strong.
Sometimes we can get things right,
            But often we are wrong.

Even though mistakes will happen,
            They can be handled well.
As long as you stay focused,
            And keep your path upon the trail.

So spend your time out in your garden,
            And give it the nourishment it needs,
And keep a watchful eye out,
            To protect it from the weeds.

Q1.Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

I spent my youth drawing and painting and became a graphic artist. I have worked as a graphics director for most of my life.  I am married, and raised a son. I began writing poetry as a teen. First in a journal with pen and paper. As I got older I started using a typewriter and eventually moved to the digital world. I have written novels as well but poetry has a special place. Novels are work but poetry is comforting, like being home. It is like the comfort food you had at your mother’s table.

Q2. Why is poetry important?

Poetry is expression.  A novel is a story of an event or a life.  Poetry is an expression of feelings and emotions that have battled to get out. I write novels because I want to, I write poetry because I have to. 

Q3. How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image?

Sentences form at first and I feel a need to write them down. I may not even had a point of the subject at first, the point develops as I start putting the sentences together. Then I know where it is going.

Q4. Where is your favorite place to write and why?  

 I am at a computer a lot for work and sometimes the sentences just flow and at times even when I am occupied with something else. It is like it is saying, “I don’t care if you are busy, I need you to write this down.”

Q5. What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?

My speaking voice is pretty low and deep. I have narrated a video of my poems a few times.  When I am writing a poem I always hear it with my voice in my head.  I am not implying I have voices in my head, but I read my poems to myself in my mind.  

Q6. What are your thoughts about social media and poetry? Do you think it helps the poet or hinders the poet?  

Social media has broaden the audience to some degree, there are bloggers, websites and publications available online that would not have been possible in the print world. As someone who has been in a print related field for so many years I have seen it shrink.  Digital formats have replaced the old printed forms in not just poetry but newspapers and magazines as well as books. It is a natural progression and there is no going back now. 

Q7. What is the best advice you have for other poets?   

Just keep writing. Don’t be concerned as much what others think just write in your own style.  Don’t write what you think, write what you feel.

Q8. What do you see in the future for poets, do you believe that poetry will regain its strength over time? 

 Poetry is like a lot of other things, it will flourish for a while and then dim, but I think it will always come back. It may be in a different form.  Songs are just poems set to music and that is where a lot of modern day poems exist today.

Q9. Why did you start blogging? 

 I don’t really blog it is more Facebook post and that kind of thing. I write a lot of poetry because something moved me to do so, such as a death or someday my grand daughter did, so I post about those subjects.

Q10. Do you have any blogging tips? 

I think just blog about what strikes you personally, be yourself, the world is full of actors. 

Q11. Who is your favorite poet? And why? 

I like the older poets, like Robert Louis Stevenson. The kind of writing that relates to life in general.  I try to be that way, I want readers to relate with what I’ve written. I don’t want it to be an obscure message. 

Q12. What, if any, groups or organizations are you a member of?   

I am not much of a joiner, I belong to a few Facebook poetry groups but that is about it.