Monday, April 3, 2017

Poet Amy Markstahler

Thank You Amy Markstahler!! 


Until We Meet Again

One day the world will know you
Though, not quite as well as I do
I imagine there's a place
A place you call home
Another time
Another realm
Where my thoughts aren't alone
One day we will meet
and I'll see your face
Tight hugs
wet eyes
a celestial embrace
Our tears will overflow
then we'll sip wine and chat
This artists wish
will be granted with that
Seems silly to mourn
the ending of a story
A writer's torture
A reader's glory






The Village
It takes a village…
as the old adage says
don’t go it alone
you’ll sever the threads
It doesn’t always work
like the prodigal son
mummers, sideways glances
will send you on the run
Though no one really knows
how the facts came to be
I couldn’t tread water
left to drown in the sea
I accept
that two become one
I’ve given birth to a daughter
and a son
Yet, I’m my own person
my understandings are real
Guilt and regret
the resentment I feel
After sinking so low
wondering if I’ll ever get back
I walked to the village
and withstood the attack


Q1.Tell us a little about yourself and your background?


I’ve been married for 19 years this June. I have two children ages 16 and 11. I’ve written a YA novel that I’m currently trying to find representation for and a second novel that is in the revision process. I went to college for graphic design. Over the years, I’ve studied many different aspects of art, but find that writing is my joy and strongest talent. 

Q2. Why is poetry important?

Poetry speaks to the heart and soul of a person. It’s a place one can be raw and honest. I appreciate that aspect of poetry, someone brave enough to put their feelings on the page.

Q3. How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image?

Typically a subject that is on my mind and/or heart, then the first line will come to mind and I have to get to writing at that point or I’ll lose the inspiration. 

Q4. Where is your favorite place to write and why?

In my bedroom. It doubles as an office for me because it’s quiet there.  

Q5. What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?

Very similar, I think. Some of my work is short and sweet but I can hear myself speaking it, too. Sometimes I write with pronouns i.e. she/he to separate me from the idea but my voice is still in it.

Q6. What are your thoughts about social media and poetry? Do you think it helps the poet or hinders the poet? 

I think it’s been amazing for poets and poetry in general. I didn’t start writing poetry until I was influenced by the amazing poets I’ve found on Twitter. 

Q7. What is the best advice you have for other poets? 

Just write. Even if you don’t share it, one day you’ll look back and be amazed at what you were able to do. 

Q8. What do you see in the future for poets, do you believe that poetry will regain its strength over time?

I think it is already rising. To see a book of poetry on the featured shelves at Barnes and Noble this past year made my day. 

Q9. Who is your favorite poet? And why? 

It’s hard to only name one. A. Alico is one of my favorites. His work inspired me to start writing poetry, as his spoke so deeply to me. His poetry tells a story and is laced with intrigue, words that linger in my mind sometimes for days. Rupi Kaur currently has a NY Times bestselling book of poetry, Milk and Honey. Her work is so poignant and truthful, I have to let it sink before I move on to the next one. 

Q10. What, if any, groups or organizations are you a member of? 

I’m a member of the SCBWI Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and RWA. I am also a member of a local critique group that has been invaluable to my work.