Sunday, March 5, 2017

Poet Mr. Glenn



 Thanks Mr. Glenn for being with Echoic Magazine for the March Issue



Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

I am an independent writer that currently lives in El Paso, TX. I began writing back in high school, but took time off from it for years when I started working and acting.

 Why is poetry important?

Poetry for me, seems to be the only way of conveying my thoughts, sometimes. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and it seems best to me to try and speak an image with a few words that conveys thousands of words when you look at it.  

 How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image?

For me, there is never really just one specific thing. Always, I am inspired by the love of my life and the emotions and feelings and thoughts that she brings. But the way the poems seem to walk in on me, varies from time to time. An image I see will always provoke something in me, a tone or song that is playing in my head can do that just as easily. Much of what I write is so often found inside her eyes, though. She is my Starlight.

Where is your favorite place to write and why?

I love coffee shops, parks, outdoors and bookshops mostly. But when I am in my writing season, it can happen anytime and anywhere, even standing in line at a store.

What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?

Divorced. I’m kidding. I sometimes write with a bit of an unknown dialect or accent in my mind when I write. There are so few poems I write that will ever have mention of modern conveniences in them, because in many respects I feel at home in the essence of a bygone era.  

 What are your thoughts about social media and poetry? Do you think it helps the poet or hinders the poet? 

I think it helps in many ways. It is a great place to have our work appreciated by such a wide and diverse audience and it helps us to connect with like-minded people. I love it! There are so many talented writers out there it is like walking into a place that feels familiar, somewhere where you are allowed to be yourself. 

What is the best advice you have for other poets? 

Don’t allow a single person in the world to try and pigeonhole you. And don’t get hung up on style or follow expectations. I have no idea what my style of poetry is, and I don’t want to know. What you are writing, the story you are telling is what is important. 

What do you see in the future for poets, do you believe that poetry will regain its strength over time? 

I don’t think that the strength of poetry ever really left. Minds change, understanding changes, relevance changes and adapts with the times. I this now, however, poetry is beginning to be appreciated more than in recent years and the art of poetry is bold new field for fertile minds.

Why did you start blogging?

Honestly, I haven’t started blogging just yet. I am in the process of setting up my website and will be featuring work there along with a blog, but I have been so busy over the last 6 months writing and putting out 2 brand new books of poetry, that I haven’t taken the time to begin working on my blog. But it’s coming. 

Do you have any blogging tips?

Write daily. Where you realize it or not, there is topic sitting at the tip of your tongue that is there for a reason. Write, write, write!

Who is your favorite poet? And why? 

I love Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe. I love the kind of detail and imagery they paint in their works. 

What, if any, groups or organizations are you a member of?

I am not currently affiliated with any groups or organizations for writing at the moment. Like my website, I am getting there and working hard to better build my brand.

Poem:

A Silhouette Remains

The flash bulb pops
and the light is thrown,
covering the distance of air,
bending past the molecules
that are suspended in time
as the light bleeds through them,
reaching to wrap around you
while the shutter begins its slide
and scrapes across the opening of the lens
and for the slights fraction of a second it seems
that it will reach you first
and capture you for its own,
but my heart is already there
and in a blur
the world you knew before
is already something new
because I love you
and all that is left for the camera to own
is the silhouette of love
that has already grown.




My Review: 5 STARS
I was honored to read Mr. Glenn’s work. I found his work to be one that I will become a fan of for years to come. His smooth, romantic writing voice was a true pleasure to read. I really enjoyed his free verse with a slant rhyme with very visual effects to his poems. This book will be one that I will definitely take the time to read over again and again. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a sexy romantic poetry book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment