Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Poet Timothious Smith

Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

I grew up in a little town 6 miles north of Kansas City, Missouri by the Missouri River called Parkville. In the time I grew up there Parkville was a segregated town and I lived on the border. My best friend lived over in the colored side of town. I spent most my time with his family so much so I was considered one of the family. From there I went to college in St. Joseph, Missouri at Missouri Western and in Kansas City at University of Missouri Kansas City. Studying various subjects from Electrical Engineering to Sports Medicine none of which I got any degrees in. I spent time as a Short order cook, a Chef at a five star restaurant, a door to door salesman, a construction worker, a plumber’s assistant, a waterbed salesman, a store manager, an elite gentlemen’s shoe salesman, Computer Technician, Web designer, IT Manager, Postal Carrier, Postal Station Supervisor, Postal Service Analyst and as well as being an writer, poet, song writer, composer, musician, playwright, actor and screen writer.


Where do you get your ideas?
My ideas come from life. Looking around and see what is really there. I listen to a lot of different things from NPR to Techno and read a lot of books. My current library would be in between 25,000 to 27,000 books. Most of them I have read more than once. Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series about 3 times each.


What is your writing process like?
I am one of those writers that just write, an idea comes to me and I sit down and write. I read all the books that tell you outline the whole book before you every put down a word on the page. That just hasn’t worked for me. I make notes and put them with the chapters or poems I have written. Now days I have thumb drives with notes and ideas on them. Some writers have things pin together all over a room in their house or apartment which is their plot line for the book or story. When I am writing it is like I am watching the action and I am just scribing it on paper so there is no need to line it all out for me. After I write a poem or chapter or story I’ll put it away and come back to in a month or so. This is mainly to go back through and start the editing process.


What advice do you have for writers?
The main thing is to write, write, and write. Make a set time to write every day. Set goals for how many words you want to do for that time. Make sure it is at the same time every day. Don’t worry about what you are writing about. There have been many times I have set down to write a short story and 80,000 words later I have a good start on a new novel. Make sure you set makeable goals. Don’t set a goal of writing 5000 words in an hour if you have never written 2000 words in an hour. If your goal is to write 5000 words work up to it gradually. If the most you have written in an hour is 2000 words make your goal to write 2100 words or even 2050 words first. Once you make that goal set your next one. The other thing is don’t worry about the haters. If people don’t like what you write find the people that do like what you write. Not your friends that have been telling how great a writer you are all this time but people that actually like your writing. You will have to find your audience and then you might have to change your writing to fit that.


What is your writing Kryptonite?
Being too critical of myself is my main Kryptonite. I’ll reread something I’ve written and then try to fix it. Sometimes fixing it is the wrong thing. Sometimes finding the right audience is what you need to do rather than fix it to fit someone else’s idea of what something is good. Being true to your own idea is more important.


What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better
writer?

I am friends with about 20,000 authors on Twitter. We promote each other and read each other’s works giving suggestion here and there. We also give reviews.


If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be? Write every day, write more and keep writing.


Why is poetry important?
Poetry is a strong emotional bond. Poetry is a major way of bringing an emotional communication to anyone who reads it.


How does a poem begin for you, with an idea, a form or an image?
All of the above, I can look at an idea and form a new one from that. I can look at a picture and come up with a hundred difference ideas.


Where is your favorite place to write and why?
I can write almost any place. My favorite place to write is wherever I am at the time. Normally though I like a place where I won’t be bothered or stopped.


What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?
Since I write in several dialects as well as some foreign languages my written voice is much more than my speaking voice. My writing voice doesn’t have a northern Missouri accent when it talks unless I’m writing a character from northern Missouri. So you could as my speaking voice is kind of envious of my writing voice.

When thou Touch I

By Timothious

I stood back and looked at what I had done.
I had felt this way before.
In the near past I had lunged.
Opening a closed heart door.

The feelings I felt then
Loomed in my head once more.
I looked at the person I had been
And those feelings I had in store.

I thank you for awakening them in me
Those feelings I had ignored.
Those things I wanted to forget to see
Those streaming emotions I dared not ford.

I breath deep those feelings.
And wish that I could share them with you.
But they’re of heart dealings
And love come true.

They’re of magic and mystery’
Motion and joy.
They’re of future and history
And chaos destroy.

If I had felt them only a little while before.
I would have lived life better
and have not locked this door.
Thus being more a go getter.

I’ve written of heroes
I wished I could be
But all I really want
Is you with me.

If I never see you again
And the love my heart drips dry.
I will remember what has always been.
When thou touch I.


My Review: 5 STARS
 I have absolutely have become a fan of Timothious’ writing. His talent exceeded my expectations and my love for poetry all together. His love poems were magnificent and enjoyable. It was my first book of modern poetry that I actually took my time in reading it and thinking about each word, stanza and the entirety of the poem before flipping the page. His rhyme schemes and rhythm flowed as gently as a steady stream without any flaw. I was so impressed by his work and highly recommend anyone to read this book by Timothious. 
(Interview previously posted) 

 Thank you for being a part of Echoic Magazine March Issue

No comments:

Post a Comment