Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Interview and Book Review with Author/Poet Jen Selinsky



Hi Jen, thank you for agreeing to this interview. 




Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I’m originally from the Pittsburgh area, but I moved to southern Indiana in February 2005.  I have been writing since the age of twelve, but I didn’t really take it seriously until I was fifteen.  I have over 160 self-published books (mostly poetry).  I have one children’s book published through Pen It! Publications and have a second one on the way. 

Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
Originally, I wanted each book to stand in its own, but I have started writing sequels to some of my novels and stories.  It will be a while until they are released, as they are still in their earliest forms, but I hope they will prove to be successful!

How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?
My first book, a collection of poems, was published in 2001.  I was still an undergraduate majoring in English.  The original name of the company was GreatUnpublished, (which has since changed to BookSurge, then CreateSpace).  I was very excited to have Opening the Doors published, as it was a gateway to my future material. 

What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
I knew that language was very powerful from an early age.  Before I was interested in writing, I watched a lot of TV and could identify with the characters on my favorite shows.  Once I began writing, however, I learned that the powers of language are virtually unlimited!

How do you balance making demands on the reader with taking care of the reader?
It’s a very difficult balance, as is self-promotion.  Since I am now working part-time at my regular job, I find that these things are not quite as difficult.  Since most of my work is self-published, marketing is very important, but I also like to help other readers out by reading their books and posting reviews.

How do you select the names of your characters?
That can be a difficult process sometimes.  I started off using names which I like, but it eventually became a little more difficult than that.  After a certain point, I thought of names which seemed to fit my characters.
  
How long on average does it take you to write a book? 
That can vary.  I once finished one poetry book within a day and another within a few hours.  I could also start something and not pick it up until for a long time.  A prime example of this is my novella, Madness, which I started in 1995 and scarcely picked up until ten years later.  So, in essence, there is no real time frame for me.

Does your family support your career as a writer?
They are all very supportive, especially my mother who doesn’t even think twice about buying copies of each of my books.  I am very lucky, and I really appreciate all their support!

Book Review: Invisible Woman

 Book Blurb: 
 "Invisible Woman" is a fictional journal written from the perspective a woman whose identity is completely anonymous. Her observations, feelings, and thoughts are presented in this work, containing her introduction and forty-four entries.

My Review:
 
I truly enjoyed this short read of Jen's. I loved how she wrote it has a diary and how she describe the way the woman felt about life in general. It sure makes the reader, (as in I) stop and think about life and how precious it is. Even though this a quick read, I would for sure recommend any woman or man to read this short book. Her words touch the heart and helps make life a little sweeter! 

My Rating: 
5 Stars
Amazon
 
A little info on Jen and where you can find her:
"Jen Selinsky was born in Pittsburgh, PA.  In 2003, she earned her bachelor's degree in English from Clarion University of Pennsylvania.  In 2004, she earned her master's degree in library science from the same school.  Jen has worked as a professional librarian for over eleven years.  She has published more than 160 books, many of which contain poetry.  Her work can be found on the following sites: Lulu, Amazon, iTunes, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.  She has also been featured in publications such as: The Courier Journal, Explorer Magazine, Liphar Magazine, and Indiana Libraries.  Jen lives in Sellersburg, IN with her husband. Like Jen on Facebook at:"
(Author Bio from Amazon)